Tuesday 15 January 2013

It has been a whirlwind day!  I've decided that I always feel better when I'm busy.  I seem to have my little spells when I'm sitting around doing nothing.  In any case it was pretty much a full day today.

I had arranged to write my photography exam this morning.  I spent quite a bit of time yesterday cramming it in but there were a few concepts I just couldn't seem to get my head to absorb.  It didn't matter how many times I went over it.....it just didn't settle in the old brain.  So this morning, finished my breakfast and headed over to Sait.  Found a parking spot right in front of the building where I was going which I thought was a good omen.  You know how I'm into good luck etc.  In any case, pulled out my notes and spent fifteen more minutes stuffing it all in.  I think Kelli calls cramming like this "Stuff it and Flush it!"  Found my instructors office and he handed me my test.  It was printed on blue paper....my favourite colour!  Another good omen I'm hoping.  He then took me to a room around the corner and said to go ahead and bring it hack to him when I was done!  I was pleasantly surprised and although I don't know what my grade was I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go down in history as the first person ever to fail the final exam in photography 201......phew....it has been weighing on my mind.  
I had many people ask me why I was even bothering to write it but I'm one of those people who had parents who always said that you had to finish the task you signed up for.  I also raised my kids that way.  If you signed up for something and didn't like it that was too bad.....you had to see it through to the end before you had the option of deciding whether or not you wished to continue on.  The only activity that we ever really had problems with was power skating.  We always signed Geoff up for power skating with his friend Trevor.  Both boys were on the small side and played fairly high level hockey so we figured it was important they could skate fast so they wouldn't get nailed by the bigger boys.  A girl named Deanna used to teach the class and it was an hour of gruelling work!  It kind of went against Geoff's philosophy that anything he did he wanted to enjoy and it had to be fun.  Trevor was a little the same way and the fact that the class was early Saturday mornings didn't help sell it either!  Trevor didn't resists as much as Geoff but I think both boys would have dearly loved to have ditched that class and slept in Saturday mornings!  It was one, however, that, as parents, we thought it was an important survival skill to be able to skate well so we signed them up for several rounds  in spite of the protest vote!  Sorry Geoff but it did save your bacon.....well at least some of your bacon!

From Sait I headed down to Kensington to meet up for lunch with Diane, Caroline and Monica.  We had a two hour non-stop gab.....I love those girls!  At one point I had to smile....Conversations were going every direction....Diane and I would be talking across the table at the same time as Caroline and Monica were talking, then we'd switch it up and Caroline and Diane would have a go and Monica and I would chat....then we'd have a conversation where all four of us engaged.  It was a hoot.  One thing....there was not a moment of silence!  Monica has been a real inspiration for me over this past year.  She has been through a great deal with her own cancer and she has an amazing attitude.  She is knowledgable beyond belief and has the philosophy that you need to be informed about your treatment and care.  She has sent me a wealth of information and advice over the past year but more importantly lives her life fully.  There is an expression "Live your life with eyes wide open!"  That is definitely Monica!

Wandered around a few of the shops before heading home.  It was a beautiful afternoon so I called up Jenifer and we headed over to Nose Hill to walk the dogs.  The walk was a little more challenging than either of us needed.  It was windy and snow had drifted so it was a bit of a slog, however, we did the full loop and had two happy dogs at the end of it.

Tomorrow I see my oncologist in the morning and will find out what his plan is for me from this point forward.  As usual, feeling a little apprehensive.  Not sure how he's going to feel about me leaving for Mexico on Monday!  Hopefully, happy for me and not annoyed.  I did try to call his office a couple of times last week to see if I could come in a week early especially if they were wanting to start my treatment but they did not get back to me.  I know doctors are busy people but I do wish they would at least have someone return your calls, even if it's just their receptionist. Especially when you are told they will get back to you once they check with the doctor!   I don't think they think about the anxiety they cause their patients when they don't respond.  Yes, I realize I am just one of many patients and I also know that doctors are very busy people but I am not one of those people who call often and think I'm pretty low maintenance in the grand scheme of things.  Oh well....will find out tomorrow......perhaps there were no spots for me to start my chemo last week, or perhaps he has just decided to start me when I get back.  I do feel I could use a couple more weeks to bounce back from my surgery before getting hit with more chemo, however, I don't want to delay if there's a chance it will be harmful to my recovery.




No comments:

Post a Comment