Sunday 29 January 2012

I am into my last full week of treatment.  Still have 2 chemos to go and 8 radiations!  Thanks for all the positive mojos I received from those of you who read my "sad" story on Saturday!  Fortunately it was a short lived spell!  I have been doing so well that I was getting a little cocky.  Haven't really paid attention to the list of foods I should avoid!  My problems could have been related to the fact I ate about five foods not recommended the number one worst being tomato soup!  Anyways...had a rough, rough day Friday and basically sat in a chair all day Saturday but today I hit the floor running!  Got back to the business of working out, went out for a delicious brunch at my friends' Maureen and Duane.  Can those two ever cook!  Such a treat to go to their place for a meal!  Later, Kelli and I did the Nose Hill Loop with a very happy Boomer!  A great day all around!

Not much else to report today so perhaps can share another one of my "inspirational" stories.  (And I must warn you I have quite a few of them.  I sometimes wake up at night thinking about the inspirational people who have touched my life with their battles.  This story is about my friend Kathy's son, Robbie.  Robbie is one of those special people who has dazzled the medical system with his resiliency and tenacity!  Around the age of 9 he was diagnosed with a rare condition and the doctors told Kathy he would be lucky to make his teens.  I remember the day she called me at school and I left for the day and we went for a walk and a talk.  It was a terrible day.  No parent ever wants to hear those words but when your child is only 9 it is even worse!  In any case Kathy and her husband did everything in their power to help Robbie and not only did he make his teens, he continued to do quite well on a very complex and rigid drug regime.  Around the age of 18 his health started to deteriorate and the doctors told them he would need a lung transplant within the year if he was to survive.  Almost a year to the date the doctors told them this they got a call late into the evening telling them to come to Edmonton.  They had a matched set of lungs!  I'll never forget that phone call.  It still makes me tear up as I right this blog.

Robbie went through a double lung transplant and continues to thrive.  Not only is he alive and kicking, he is a thriving example of what our medical system can do for us.  Last year he graduated with a Business degree from the University of Calgary and attended the World Transplant Games in Sweden!
He celebrates two birthdays each and every year.  One for the day he was born....the other for the day he received his lungs.  He and I plan to compare our scars when this is over but I am pretty sure his will be more impressive than mine!  Pretty cool story eh???  Thought you might like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment