Monday 9 January 2012

Well, had my first full day at the hospital.  Started the day off with my $30 a pill anti nausea drugs followed by some steroids.  For a girl who hates taking even tylenol this was tough but as promised I am doing as told. We arrived at the Tom Baker at 10 AM where I had my first round of chemo.  A very weird experience to be sitting there amongst very sick people and thinking "I just don't fit".  This experience took about 2.5 hours then we headed across to Tim Hortons for lunch.  Back to the Tom Baker for radiation.  Longer today because I had to meet with a couple of people to hear the side effects etc.  The radiation itself only takes about 10 minutes and they beam you from many directions, all beams guided by my tatoos!  Whoever would have thought I would have tatoos??!!!  I finished the day feeling totally fine.  No side effects, no nausea......having said that I am not naive enough to think I am going to sail through the whole five weeks like this.  The hard part is believing what they are predicting for me starting as early as next week!  Hmmmm....won't go into those details until they happen.  In any case I will take every good day and enjoy it to the max!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to each and every one of you who has taken the time to phone, to email, to visit,to bring me books and other assorted treats, to cook, etc.    There has not been a single day that I have not had a positive message from friends.

I am overwhelmed by your support but I am positive that all your prayers and positive vibes are going to do the trick.  Many of you have offered to help out with ANYTHING and I do appreciate it.  One of the most popular offers is to walk Boomer.  At the moment I am enjoying doing this myself and a few friends have joined me on my loop around Nose Hill.  I do know, however, there may come a point that I may take you up on this offer if you are totally serious.  I know that on days 8-11 following my chemo days I will have compromised immunity.  These are days I need to be careful to stay away from people who are not well, to wash my hands frequently, to avoid excessive contact with pets etc.  They may also be days when I may not be feeling as well as I do now.  Who knows, but these may be days when I could use some help with my beloved pal!  He is quite puzzled by all of this and has been a little strange.  Dogs really do have a sense when things aren't right.
So, five chemos, down one, four to go (As Edie pointed out to me!) and 25 radiations, one down, 24 to go!  Will keep you posted!

Kelli is coming back on the 15th to be home for a month.  She has managed to arrange to do her Emergency Medicine round in Calgary.

No comments:

Post a Comment