Tuesday 14 August 2012

Got our golf game in, Boomer got is swim in and now I am sitting under the deck waiting for the storm to blow in.  Hopefully Bill is finished his round at the Springs because this is looking like a promising storm coming!  Fortunately, it looks like it’s just passing through and tomorrow will be good.

Yesterday Kelli came home from work with sad news.  She just heard from a good friend from Med School who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and has had a double mastectomy!  She is only 29 years old and just got married last year.  How unfair is that!!!  Kelli wanted to do something to make her smile!  One of my favourite flowers are Sunflowers!!!  My Mom always loved them too because they always turn to face the sun. Dad used to grow them out in the yard.   Not too long ago my friend Judy Duncan painted me a beautiful picture of sunflowers that hangs in my kitchen!!!  She also gave me some quotes and stories that go with Sunflowers.  Kelli decided to send her friend one of the quotes along with 5 four foot tall sunflowers!!!  “Turn your face to the sun so you cannot see the shadows.  That is what sunflowers do!”  As hoped the flowers brought some smiles!!!  Kelli said to me “Mom what can I do?”  My answer was “you have seen all the wonderful things people have done for me!”  Then I added " just be there and don’t fizzle out.”   There is always that frenzy of contact when people first discover you are sick and then of course it eases off once the panic of the moment settles and your friends realize you are doing pretty good. This of course is not true of everyone.  I still have many friends who make a conscious effort to stay in touch and send me little messages. They are solidly present.  I also have many who I don’t hear from for a time and then poof, they appear once more!  We all lead busy lives including myself but I told Kelli something as simple as an email message, a phone call a visit or a big hug can make a world of difference to someone in her friend’s situation!

My Aunt Marion (who is my god mother) and her daughter Dorothy are coming through Windermere tonight and will be staying with us overnight.  Aunt Marion was my Mom’s dearest friend.  Aunt Marion and Mom knew each other most of their lives, and were a shining example of what friends do for each other!!!  I am really looking forward to seeing them!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed Leslie!! Friends are my lifeline!! Great advice!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete