Sunday 5 August 2012

It has been soooo hot that I find I’m not doing a whole heck of a lot!  Today did a little running around and went to Rona and got a new “beer can chicken” holder.  Mine seems to have gone walking.  With my luck I will find the old one kicking around here somewhere but I have searched high and low and cannot seem to find it anywhere.  If you’ve never tried beer can chicken you should.  It is a fantastic way to cook chicken.  I can’t stand beer but I love beer can chicken.  It can be cooked without the pan, however, there is less likelihood of a spill if you do use the pan. The recipe is simply this......drink half of the beer out of the can.  Invert the chicken over the can and sprinkle the outside of the bird with some sort of seasoning mix.  Place in your barbecue.  Light one half of the barbecue on high and leave the other side off.  A small chicken will cook in a little more than an hour and is wonderfully moist and delicious.  The chicken does require some supervision.  A while back I was making it and lit both sides of the barbecue to speed up the process a bit.  Then I decided to take Boomer for a walk in the ravine while the chicken  was cooking.  I went down to the tennis courts and back and when I came within viewing distance of our house I was shocked to see smoke pouring off our deck.  And I’m not talking a little smoke but rather huge billowing clouds of smoke!  I broke into a run and sure enough arrived home to find a very blackened, charred, dried up chicken smoking on the grill.  Lesson to be learned:  Do not light both sides of the barbecue to speed things up and whatever you do do not go for a walk and leave the bird unattended.  I’m lucky I didn’t burn our house down that day! Another cooking disaster in the life of Leslie!

That was pretty much it for productivity today!  Came home, did a few odds and sods around the house then went outside to find some shade and read my book.  Even had a little siesta which is something I rarely do!  Had a short walk....short is enough for both Boomer and I in this heat!

Tomorrow I head out to Gull Lake to meet up with my pals!  Can hardly wait!  We always have lots of laughs.  Funny how some friendships are like that.  You can go months without seeing people and pick up exactly where you left off.  These friends are like that!  We have no problem resuming our silliness and enjoy reminiscing about the “good old days” when were wild and crazy.  There are certainly some stories that one would like to see disappear but never do! 

Bill is heading out to Windermere on Wednesday.  He is going to install some sinks for Dad and then Kelli and Mike are going to take Dad and Bill for supper.  Wednesday is Dad’s birthday.  He share’s his day with Roger Federer which I am sure suits him just fine being the tennis buff he is!  Happy birthday to Dad and Roger and of course to my friend Diane Murray!  Birthdays abound this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment