Sunday 16 June 2013

Here's hoping everyone had a great Father's Day.  My Dad spent the weekend in the Valley playing golf with Kevin and Michele.  Bill's day didn't start out so great.  He made Kelli and I breakfast (something not quite right with that picture) and then she took him on a torturous 101 km bike ride out to the Cochrane Gas Plant and back.  We did make it up to him at dinner time though and tomorrow he gets to do two of his favourite things with two favourite people.  Geoff and Kelli are taking him to Peters Drive In for dinner and then the three of them are off to see the latest Star Trek Movie!  That to me is what Father's Day and Mother's Day should be about.  Doing something special with your Dad.  To heck with the extravagant gift stuff.  I think this sort of thing is far more appreciated and remembered, at least by Bill and I.  My Dad and I will celebrate our Father's Day sometime after the ride.  I, like Kevin, will head out to Windermere and we will spend a couple of days tearing up the golf course and trash talking how good we are going to be!  Unfortunately, it rarely happens for either of us but we do love talking about it!  In some ways, a good thing that I was unable to go this weekend as Dad will get to celebrate it twice!

I did a shorter bike ride than the rest of the crew today.  Duane, Maureen, Danielle and Kelli did around 80 km and Bill pushed it a little further.  I did substantially less but I did get out my bike today and put on some clicks in the saddle!  I'm afraid this rough patch I've had has put a bit of a damper on my training schedule and I am pretty sure I will be using the ace up my sleeve on the ride.....our own personal sag wagon for the saggers!  I'm OK with that.  I only hope that my many sponsors feel the same way.  Wouldn't want to commit a fraud getting your money for this cause!  As I've said many times my goal was to be out there participating and being part of the team.  That I know I am going to able to do.  I will start and I will finish and what happens in between is between myself and the mystery driver!

I think this guy would make a good playmate for my friend Jenifer's Labradoodle, Sienna!
Lindsey and Geoff worked nights last night.  Lindsey has been telling us about Geoff's talking and antics in his sleep.  Both my kids have been sleep walkers and talkers over the years.  Anyways, this morning Lindsey woke up to see Geoff standing on the bed holding on to the ceiling fan!  She said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?  You're going to wreck the motor on the fan!"  His answer...."I'm protecting you from this fan!"  Scary, especially given the fact that when he was six years old my brother was playing with him, tossing him up in the air and catching him.  Unfortunately, he tossed a little to far......right into my Mom and Dad's family room ceiling fan  There was a clunk, clunk and you could actually see his skull where the fan had hit.  At the time, he had a lazy eye so had a patch over his eye.  We left the patch and put an towel on the profusely bleeding head wound, rushing him to the Invermere Hospital where he received 29 stitches.  Kelli has done some rotations out in Invermere and the doctor still remembers this case 24 years ago! Apparently when we walked in with the bloody towel and the patch over the eye the medical staff had a sick feeling that the fan could have taken out his eye.  Very possibly could have as it wasn't to far off the mark!   It is scary to think he still thinks of fans as a threatening apparatus and even scarier how he chooses to deal with them!  Maybe a bedroom fan wasn't the best plan for him! Think I'm going to crash early tonight.  Need a little extra shuteye this week so I'm fit as a fiddle next weekend!

News updates:  The Dirty Beeches raised over $4,000 contributing to the event total of $67,000f for Lymphoma and Leukemia in this weekends Pineapple Challenge.  Congrats Lisa, Kim and Dusty....Great Job!

The Honey Badgers have surpassed our $118,000 goal.  We have not reclaimed our fifth place spot and remain in 6th place but we're still pretty awesome!  Most of the teams above us have many more players.  Enbridge has 140 riders on their team and I suspect if you did a team average we'd be giving them a run for their money!

A tribute to the two greatest Dad's in my life!  The one who raised me and the one who married me!
                                                                    MY DAD
                                    A photo to the one who was a great Dad to our kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment