Saturday 8 June 2013

Holy Smokeroo!  Bill and I both parred the Silver Springs Golf Course last night!!!  (I'm certain at this point my friend Corrine is gasping)  Guess I can't just leave it at that as much as I'd like to.  We had a 7 PM tee time.  Grabbed a bite to eat with our friends Maureen and Duane and then headed over to the golf course with one wary eye on the blackening sky.  Optimistically we hit off and both Bill and I parred the first hole!  Went on to hole 2, hit off and the lightening sirens went off so game over!  Parred the course!!!  Disappointing but we will try again another day when the sun is shining  In my opinion, golf is a much better game when the weather is good and you're not shivering in your shoes!

Marueen, Duane, Danielle and Bill were all planning to do a 100 km ride today.  Still a little over my threshold, especially given the fact I've been having trouble sleeping this past week which leaves me feeling a little flat during the day.  Last night though, I actually had a great sleep, woke up feeling the best I've felt in days and decided I'd join them for at least a portion of the ride.  We left from home and headed west towards Cochrane.  We always take the root through Church Ranches and down the secondary roads instead of the highway.  It's really pretty and the traffic is very tolerant of the many cyclists that ride that road.  There is something about being on a bike as opposed to being in a car.  I have always enjoyed the outdoors but it occurred to me today as I was riding along that I have become much more attuned to sights, sounds and smells than I used to be.  It was absolutely delightful riding along listening to the frogs croaking in the swollen ponds along the roadway, hearing the song of the meadowlark in the surrounding fields and the chirping of crickets.  The scenery is stunning as you ride towards the mountains and there is no shortage of fabulous houses to look at and wonder who could possibly live in a house that large!  Both Maureen and I would love to get the opportunity to wander through a few of those mansions although we both agree we would never want to live in a place that large.  With all the rainfall the grass has grown tall and it seemed that everyone was out on their ride em lawn mowers.  The smell of fresh cut grass was everywhere!  It was a spectacular day for a bike ride!  I rode as far as the turn towards Cochrane.  There was no way I was going to tackle that hill back up today!  I bid the gang farewell and turned my bike back towards town, leaving the rest of them to reach their 100 km goal!  For Maureen this has been a HUGE accomplishment and I am soooo proud of her.  Duane told Bill today that on her first ride back when they were in Hawaii she road 14 km and thought that was pretty darn good.  Today she reached the pinnacle distance and I have no doubt she will be able to complete the Ride To Conquer Cancer!  Today, she actually thanked me today for inspiring her to do this ride.  It just goes to show you anythings possible if you set your mind to it.  I turned back towards home and continued on at my own pace.  I stopped by Geoff and Lindseys to see if they were home.  I knew they were planning to do the Highwood Pass today with some of the other Honey Badgers, however, I also knew they worked nights last night and thought they may have taken a pass.  Guessed wrong....they were gone....so I continued on home.  As I rode out of their cul de sac I had a grin on my face.  I was remembering that last year, my first time to ride the bike was a ride to their house and back, probably a distance of not more than a few kilometers.  Today I had ridden almost 60 kilometers when I got to their house!  Talk about feeling pretty pleased with myself!
Got home, hopped off the bike and thought hmmmm....I still have a little left in the tank.  I probably could have gone further.  However, after my shower I looked at my bed and thought I'd just lie down for a few minutes.  An hour later I came to.....guess I was more tired than I knew but very, very happy!
I don't know if I will be able to ride the entire 220 km but I'm going to give it a shot.  If I can't do the whole thing....oh well....to be there and to be part of it is a dream come true!  I'm not just an honorary Honey Badger this year....I'm the real deal!!!
  GIRL POWER!!!  Danielle, me and Maureen!

PS....Does anyone out there read the Globe and Mail.  A friend recommended I read an article in todays paper.  If you have it and wouldn't mind saving the article for me I'd appreciate it.  It's about the "cutting edge of cancer treatment."  Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment