Thursday 26 July 2012

Off to Foothills bright and early for my hydration session and bloodwork.  The place was full of very sick people today.  It is heartbreaking to watch.  My nurse took me to my chair and proceeded to try to start an IV.  She heated up my hand, looked at it, tapped the back of my hand and finally said she wasn’t comfortable trying to start an IV on me.  She would get Ivy!  Oh my God!!!  Ivy is the only one who jabs me several times before she is successful! I have had her two or three times in the past and it is the same story every time.  Nice girl but not good at this part of her job.   And this girl is telling me Ivy was better at starting IV’s than she was.  You would think with a name like “Ivy” you would be deadly starting IV’s!  Not so......Some of the nurses are just awesome but the crew in there today were definitely challenged when it came to starting IV’s.  After several pokes they finally got things going.  My hands are a little black and blue tonight.  All around me I could here nurses muttering to their patients what poor veins they had.  Not a good day to be in the daycare!  Funny, after awhile you get to know who’s good and who’s not.  Unfortunately, you have no say who your nurse will be.....luck of the draw.  Sometimes you draw good....sometimes, not so good.

Finished with the hydration and headed off to the lab for my bloodwork.  Did a double take when I saw a lady I had visited with a couple of weeks ago during treatment.  Two weeks ago she had long blonde hair.....today she was bald and wearing a turban.  On top of this she looked as if she had lost ten pounds and was walking with a cane.  It was shocking to see her deterioration in just a couple of weeks.  I told Kelli tonight if I lose my hair I will not wear one of those turbans!  They just scream “cancer”.  They make you look sick.  I will definitely look for some other options.  I think even a ball cap would look better than those caps.  My hair is still hanging in there.  A couple of weeks ago I was thinking it was coming out and it has definitely thinned but it is still there.  It is scruffy because my cheap side has been saying “why waste money on a haircut if it’s just going to fall out?”  Well, today, I decided it might as well look decent while I have it so I dropped in on my hairdresser and booked an appointment for tomorrow.  Who knows....maybe I won’t lose it at all so it might as well look good.  I have been very careful with it.  I rarely blow it dry, don’t towel it dry to vigorously, avoid brushing it too much, use all sorts of concoctions on it ......  So far, so good, but I had to admit to myself today that it looks pretty rough at the moment!  I reminded myself of the presentation I went to sometime ago....”Look good, feel good...”  Time to step it up a notch!!




1 comment:

  1. Maybe your hair will just hang in there. I was just thinking about you the time you had your head shaved at school, you looked pretty good. G.

    ReplyDelete