Saturday 28 July 2012

First and foremost....Happy Birthday to my brother Kevin!!!  He is currently touring the maritimes in his camper and loving it!  What a great place to see in birthday #???
And just as a sidebar note of trivia......were you aware that today was also Terry Fox’s birthday!?
As most of you know I have been a huge supporter of the Terry Fox Run for the past 16 years so it is only fitting I would also remember him on this day!  Kevin and Terry were actually born on the same day in 1958!

Today a friend sent me her website called “Dames on the Range.”  I had such a great time looking at all the wonderful pictures and reading comments and stories that people had contributed.  I even poached a few of the quotes which I found very inspirational.

I especially enjoyed this one!
“There are two basic motivating forces:  fear and love.  When we are afraid we pull back from life.  When we are in love we open to all life has to offer with passion, excitement and acceptance.  We need to learn to love ourselves first in all our glory and our imperfections  If we cannot love ourselves we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create.  Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open heated vision of people who embrace life.”
John Lennon

I have been thinking about going bike riding for days now and today finally decided to give it a whirl.  I am constantly trying to find my way back to do the things I love to do and for me many of the these things are physical pursuits.  I decided to do a relatively short ride for my first time out so donned my helmet and biking shoes and headed over to Geoff and Lindsey’s house which is in Citadel.  To my delight I can bike with relative ease.  Came home and decided to try a hill just to see how it would go so rode down to the tennis courts and back home.  The hill, not so easy but I did it which I was very pleased about.  Slowly I am finding things I can do.  Certainly, not to the same level of vigour as before but I am doing things and I am loving it!  With each new thing I find I can do comes a real sense of accomplishment.  I have never understood people who choose not to engage in anything physical at all.  For me exercise and activity have always brought me a true sense of well being which is so critical at this point in my life!  So, to all of you who have stepped up your fitness focus.....good on ya!  Hopefully you will get hooked for life!  When I first started my recovery one of my biggest fears was that I wouldn’t be able to do anything physical.  Happily, I am discovering that this is not the case.....I just have to adjust my expectations and realize that I can’t go as far or as fast but I can still do many of the things that I could do before.  It’s all a matter of giving it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment