Friday 6 July 2012

Was at the TB for my hydration session yesterday morning.  You sit in little seating areas with two patients per area.  When I first arrived the other seat in my area was unoccupied, however, not long after sitting down I could hear the nurse bringing a new patient along.  They were having a conversation as they approached, although I could not see them from where I was sitting,  I kept thinking “Man, that guys voice sounds familiar.”  Anyways, this couple comes into the area.  He has his back to me and his wife is turned sideways so I don’t have a good view of them but I’m paying attention because I keep thinking I so recognize this guys voice.  Then he turned and I just about dropped out of my chair.  It was Brock and Jayne, two people I have dealt with for over 20 years.  They own Kodiak Sports and always did my school shirts for me.  Fantastic people!  Turns out Brock has a growth in his intestine.  Talk about a small world.  We sat and chatted for an hour while we each received our treatment.  His surgery is booked for the end of August and it sounds like a horrendous surgery.  They will remove his spleen, his gall bladder and scrape all of his other organs.  Then they pull out his entire intestine and go through it section by section to see if there are any other growths in it.  He will be in the hospital for at least three weeks!  That poor guy.  Does not sound like an easy time at all.  This is not the first time I have run into people there that I know.  They put 150 a people a day through the treatment facility.  Pretty scary eh? As I was leaving I walked by a young man.  I would put him about 19 or 20 years old.  He was having treatment and was there with his Mom and Dad.  I felt so sorry for all of them.  This is not a disease anyone should have to deal with but it makes me particularly sad when I see young people or kids being treated.

We are out in Windermere right now.  Bill and I played golf this morning.  I felt I was hitting better than my last game but my score was still on the wrong side of 100.  I improved by a few strokes but am far away from where I was shooting last year.  Bottom line though is that I am enjoying every minute of it and am only swearing quietly under my breath!

The lake is very high but is not as dirty this weekend so Boomer got to go for his swim!  Last weekend we kept him out of the water because it was so filthy dirty.  Today there were even people in swimming but I couldn’t help but think it must be freezing cold.  I will not be dipping my toes in until late July!

We are heading back home on Sunday night or Monday morning as I have a number of appointments next week.  Monday I have to go to the swallow clinic.  Not sure what that is about because I am swallowing just fine at the moment but will go and see what they have to say.  Tuesday is my chemo treatment, Thursday, hydration and finally FRIDAY....something fun.....I get to go see Johnny Reid with Kelli for my birthday!  Like a reward at the end of a week of torture!


No comments:

Post a Comment