Sunday 15 July 2012

Another quiet day for me.......yesterday quite brutal....got a little taste of what chemotherapy patients go through and I didn’t like it one little bit!  Today much better but still moments where I’m not feeling 100%.  Definitely on the upswing though.  The problem is when you just stay home there isn’t much to talk about!

Have been puttering around today.  Bill off to help Geoff and Lindsey take down their fence, Kelli back in Invermere......it’s quiet with no one around.  Just me and Boomer....

Tomorrow we will head out to Windermere for the week.  Looking forward to getting back on the golf course and hoping this little blip in the weather is just that...a blip on the radar screen.  Don’t mind the cooler weather in town but when you are out there you like the sunshine.  I’m even going to pack my swim suit!

Bill has plans to do a bike ride from Castle Junction to Windermere.  He has really gotten into cycling since the Enbridge ride.  Yesterday he rode 123 km out to Ron and Marg’s place and back!  Must confess I’m jealous!  I so miss my physical activity but having said that I have come to realize that there is no point in agonizing over what I used to be able to do.  Instead, I have to focus on the things I can do now in this moment and hope at some point I will be able to do some of those things I used to love to do!  Being able to golf has been a huge boost for me even if I only walk half of the course.  It is a start!

Have been reading a book Brian and Brenda brought me back from Alaska.  It is called the Lance Mackay story!  Wow....this guy is tough.  He had throat cancer and during his recovery period, while still on stomach feeds raced 1000 mile dog mushing races in Alaska.  His cans of Ensure would freeze in the -40 temperatures.  Really puts things into perspective.  In any case he has beaten his cancer and his journey was very inspirational.  Bill says he makes me look like a wimp and I would have to agree!
However, the real point of the story is to have goals, passion and purpose.  I do have those and have them well within my sights.  I firmly believe short and long term goals are important and am busy setting those objectives for myself.  Have been also reading a book called Cancer-50 Essential things to do.  An interesting read, especially the section on nutrition.  I have always considered myself a good eater, even a bit of a zealot when it came to healthy eating, however, reading this I realize there are still things I can do to improve my diet.  There is huge evidence to support that you can help yourself tremendously by taking control of your lifestyle.  I’m lucky in that I don’t have huge adjustments to make but there are areas I will definitely strive to do better in.  The book maintains that sugar is one of the worst things a cancer patient can eat as cancer cells thrive on sugar.  It also suggests taking the white out of your diet...white flour, white rice, potatoes etc......The problem with all of this is I also need to keep my caloric intake up and if you start eliminating these high calorie foods you can lose out in the calorie area.  Moderation...common sense....I suppose.....

2 comments:

  1. Goals, passion and purpose what wonderful words to live by no matter what obstacles you face or don't face in life!!! Thanks for sharing your "uneventful" Sunday - I personally think everything you have to say is always interesting, makes me think and of course reminds me to be grateful for all of the blessings I have in my own life!!! I'm off to workout and see what "white" stuff I can eliminate from my diet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie.. I Very Much Enjoy Your Blogs.. Not Like Talking to you!! But is Like Second Best!!
    Enjoy your Time on the Golfing!! And A Swim Suit Is a MUST!!

    Take Care,
    Big HUGS (((HUGS))))
    Lorna & Brent
    P.S Brent Says He Enjoys Your Blogs Too!!

    ReplyDelete