Saturday 14 July 2012





Had an amazing birthday yesterday. Above are pictures, two of Kelli and I at the grounds and the last a picture of the sea otter Bill gave me for a birthday gift.  The picture does not do the carving justice!  He is absolutely awesome.  Last summer we were travelling on the Sunshine Coast and we went into a gallery and discovered the artist who carves these amazing pieces.  I bought one for Geoff and Lindsey as a wedding gift and wished I could afford one for myself as well.  My wish came true!  This one is quite different than the one I bought but I love it just as much!  Can’t believe Bill bought it for me!

The day was busy....maybe a little too busy as I am certainly paying the price a little today.  In any case...totally worth a day of being tired.  In the morning Kelli and I went for pedicures then met up with Geoff, Lindsey and Bill for lunch on the patio at Cianti’s.  Geoff and Lindsey had to work last night (not a paramedics dream to work Friday/Saturday night of Stampede!)  and Lindsey offered to drive us down to the grounds.  We got there around four and wandered the Big Four, checked out the Coca Cola Stage and tried our hand at West Jets draw for discounted flights.  We had just run into the Lenzin’s and their friend Marilyn.  Marilyn won a free flight, Brenda got a flight for 30% off and Brian a flight for 5% off.  We lined up.  The four people in line ahead of us all won 30% off their flights but Kelli and I only got 10%.  Well, 10% is certainly better than nothing and it can be combined with a seat sale.  We did some serious people watching.  Cannot believe some of the get ups people wear down there and the food they eat.  Honestly, deep fried oreo cookies, jalapeƱo corn dogs (Lindsey swears they are delicious!) , deep fried just about anything!  Pretty gross!  The concert was great.  Really enjoyed Johnny Reid, although thought the gig by Theo Fleury was a little weird!  He wrote a song....”I got my Life back.”,  I think it was a good thing he was a hockey player because I don’t think he has a future as a musician.  Was a bit of an odd addition to the concert.

Laying very low today.  Thanks so much to everyone who sent me birthday wishes yesterday!  I woke up to 35 messages on my phone!  Guess when you tell people all week on your blog that your birthday is on Friday they remember!  Probably that and the reminders you get through Facebook which I find great for remembering friend’s birthdays too.  In any case the phone calls, the emails, the gifts were all greatly appreciated.  Not a day goes by that I don’t give thanks for the friend’s and family I have been blessed with.  Each message you send to me boosts me up.  Thankyou.....I’m sure you have no idea the strength you all give to me!



3 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday Leslie - I was down at the stampede with my girls yesterday as well - can't believe we didn't see you! Ha Ha!
    I agree about the outfits - I had many a discussion with Katie about certain clothing options of certain young and older girls and how they portray themselves when they dress like that. Always a teaching opportunity in our house!
    I'm glad you had a fabulous birthday and a great concert. We were able to go to see The Tragically Hip among others at Fort Calgary - it was fantastic!
    Have a great time in Invermere next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Birthday, Leslie. I'm glad your day was fantastic! Enjoy your golfing next week.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, you probably can't believe or begin to understand the strength you give to every one of us!!!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete