Sunday 24 June 2012

This was the weekend for the Ride to Conquer Cancer and it was wet, wet, wet.  Maureen and I set out yesterday to track and follow the team.  In the morning when Bill got up it was pouring pretty good in Edgemont and was still raining when they arrived at Spruce Meadows.  Fortunately the rain let up for the morning and they had pretty decent weather.  Maureen and I found them all at the lunch spot and it was quite pleasant out.  We decided to go on ahead to check out the camp and about 20 minutes out of the lunch spot the sky opened up.  It absolutely bucketed. By the time we got to Chain Lakes it was pouring and the riders coming in were totally drenched.  The camp was like a mud bath.  Any pig would have thought he had died and gone to heaven had he landed up there.  We hung out there for about an hour and started to get chilled and decided to head home.  We would be back on Sunday to cheer them in at Spruce Meadows.  Well, they all completed the first day but it was a wet night.  Geoff said he laid in his tent and it sounded like someone had a hose and was spraying the tent off FULL FORCE!  Gary got up this morning and there were puddles under his sleeping pad. Nothing like putting on our wet gear and getting ready to do another 100 km! Maureen, Jenifer, Mike, Kelli, myself and Boomer headed out to Spruce Meadows around 11 AM this morning.  The day was overcast but not raining which was a relief.  We got there and riders were starting to trickle in.  We had our various noise makers (I had the cowbell!) and we proceeded to welcome all the riders in.  The event is incredibly well organized.  I think there were about 2000 riders this year and they raised a total of $8 million dollars in Calgary alone!  Lindsey's Mom and Dad were there and Trish and Gerry arrived as well so we had quite the cheering section.  I felt a little strange being the cheerer as it has always been the other way around for me and I found myself tearing up several times, especially when survivors crossed the finish line, hands joined with their partners.  It was quite emotional!  Our team rolled in around 2 PM looking strong as a Honey Badger should.  Marilyn and Amber were not there yet but the rest of the team pretty much came in together wearing their Honey Badger shirts. Later, we heard the girls had also finished which makes for 100% team success.  I am so proud of all of them!  EVERY HONEY BADGER TOUGHED IT OUT and several of them marched, including Bill, Geoff and Lindsey over to the booth and signed up to do it next year.  I think I found my year long goal today!  I'm going to do that ride next year!  Just hope the sun shines!  I've had enough adversity and deserve a little sunshine!

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I bawled like a baby on the finish line. Lisa wants to do it again next year as well. The most emtional weekend she ever had!

    Thinking of you and hope to get over to see you when school is out (I am working all this week!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fabulous goal Leslie - I look forward to cheering you on next year as you complete the 200 km bike ride!!!! Maybe that should be my goal too! Though my butt hurts just thinking about it!

      Delete