Sunday 17 June 2012

Above is a picture of the beautiful quilt I received yesterday!  A true work of art.  I have always thought quilting would be a nice hobby.  Thinking about it though, is as far as it ever goes.  Sewing never was my forte.

Happy Father's Day to all!  We had a quiet one as both kids were working today.  Kelli is doing her second 24 hour shift this weekend!  Brutal!  I absolutely cannot believe they do this to these residents.  She worked Friday morning 8 AM until Saturday AM and does the same again today.  Sunday AM to Monday AM.  I remember once going to a doctor and having a discussion with him about how unreasonable I thought this was and his answer was "It was done to me, so it shall be done to you!"  How archaic is that?  Kelli has a post call day tomorrow and I am finally going to get to use the spa gift certificate that was given to me as a gift from a group of parents and kids that I taught.  We are having a spa day!

Geoff dropped by after work.  He looked like he too had pulled a 24 hour shift.  Guess he had a terrible sleep last night and had to be up at 4 AM to go to work this morning.

I know my family are all worried about me.  I see it in their faces every day!  Honestly, I think that is the hardest part of all of this.  Seeing the impact it has on the people I love.  It is like I'm pulling them along on this nightmare.  I remember when my Mom was first diagnosed with lymphoma and she called my brother and I over to tell us the news.  I only saw her cry twice during the 18 months she battled her cancer.  The first was the day she told us she had lymphoma.  Her words that day were  "I am so sorry for what I am going to put you through."  The second was the day they told her there was nothing more they could do.  I now totally understand what she meant because I feel the same way.

All I can do is give it everything I've got.  I'm making great strides on the eating side.  I am pretty much up to 80% of what I would normally eat.  Still having some challenges with drinking liquids but it will come I know.  It is so gratifying to be able to share a meal with family, not just be an observer.

Today has been a good day.  My energy levels have returned.  I feel better today than I have in weeks.  Think I have pretty much kicked the pneumonia although I am still on the antibiotic for a few more days.  This morning I had a chuckle at my funny boy Boomer.  I had him in to the vet last week for his annual check and shots.  He has been limping and we have been slathering his paws in all sorts of concoctions thinking he had cracked paws.  Well it turns out he has a little arthritis in one of his elbows.  The vet suggested on the days he seems bothered to give him a baby aspirin.  One thing you need to know about Boomer is he LOVES food, hates pills!  Almost anything you give him in the way of food is welcome.  Well, I popped his aspirin into a piece of banana.  I then  held his mouth shut.  He knew immediately there was a pill in that banana and he was NOT going to swallow it.  We had a stare down that lasted more than a couple of minutes.  He was staring belligerently at me and I knew he was holding that pill and banana in his mouth, ready to spit it out as soon as I let go and I'm staring at him thinking you will eat this banana if I have to hold your mouth shut all morning.  I did win the battle but think I will have to resort to cheddar cheese tomorrow.  We have tried putting it in his bowl of kibble.  I have timed him eating 2 cups of food.  His record time is 37 seconds and if there is a pill in the food he somehow manages to devour every speck of dinner and leave the pill sitting alone in the bowl at the end of the meal.  Amazing!

Got my house cleaned today, went for a walk on the hill, got groceries and started my pathetic exercise program this afternoon.  I look at myself and am amazed at my lack of muscle.  I have always been a little mesomorph.....but my lack of activity has gradually taken my muscle and left me looking like a twig!  Time to get back at it but I have a whole new respect for people embarking on a fitness program who are grossly unfit!  It is hard work!  I also swung my clubs today and am ready to go out and try hitting some balls.  If we get a decent day this week and I feel OK that is definitely on my dance card.  I have lots of balls crying to be lost!  I need to get back to some degree of normal.

I have received some beautiful quotes from many of you......thank you....they are all safely stored.  Today's quote seems so appropriate to where I am at the moment.

"Nothing can make our life or the lives of other people more beautiful than perpetual kindness."
I have definitely been the recipient of perpetual kindness from my family, my friends and from people I don't even know.  For this I am grateful!

1 comment:

  1. A strong person is not the one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds tears for a moment, and then picks up her sword and fights again..
    This is you Les- ONWARD!!!!

    ReplyDelete