Saturday 12 May 2012

I have so many pictures that I just seem to be struggling with which ones to include.  You'll probably get a few more over the next week or so as I'm still pretty pumped about our trip.  It wasn't our usual holiday, Bill and I are usually busy bees when on holiday.  This trip it was our turn to be the quiet ones but I was just happy to be there.  The wedding was beautiful!  I know I am biased but it was one of the nicest weddings I have ever been to!  Geoff and Lindsey put a ton of work into the planning and it paid off!  Everything went off without a glitch and the hundred guests came to have fun!  It all started on Friday morning at 4:45 when the bus "limo" picked us up to take us to the airport!  The trip was uneventful and we arrived in Cancun 5 hours later!  We all collected out bags and then were forced to brave the intake procedures which are quite slow.  We had my feeding gear spread out between several friends and some were searched.  My poor friend Kathy, while in the process of getting searched lost her passport!  She was pretty cool about it though, her solution being, get me to the resort, "I need a drink!"  We got to the Grande Serenis and it was a lovely hotel. Saturday we just settled in and got our bearings but Sunday the kids had booked a catamaran for 100 people to go snorkelling!  We headed out on slightly rough waters that got slightly rougher and a few of the guests were soon hurling their pina coladas overboard!  I often get seasick so was quite pleased I had no ill effects from the sail.  Perhaps because I had nothing in my stomach!  Hmmm....that is probably the first positive thing I have said about being tube fed!    The cruise was lovely, lots of fun and all that went snorkelling enjoyed themselves.  I of course could not snorkel but unlike the most of the snorkelers, I got to see a turtle, right from the boat!!  Monday we had the rehearsal dinner.  Lindsey had quite a number of family members up from New Jersey for the wedding so we had quite a nice sized group for the dinner.  Then Tuesday was the big day!  The wedding was right on the beach and was performed by a cute little Mexican woman.  My favourite part of the service was when she asked Lindsey...."Lindsey, are you sure?  Are you sure he's a good boy?  This is your last chance!"  It was really cute.The ocean back drop was magnificent.  It was warm but there was an offshore breeze which did help.  After the ceremony we had some pictures taken and then headed up to the beachside Palappa for dinner and dancing!  I stayed right to the end!  Got my dance with Geoff!  Enjoyed every single minute of the evening!  Not sure what this one means....hmmm...but Kelli's boyfriend Mike caught the garter!  By the end of the reception I was pretty much done....had to pass on the disco!   The rest of the week was pretty much laid back for me.  My big event each day was to float in an inner tube down the Lazy River which was very relaxing.

It was hard to watch every one eating and drinking, going to the gym or the spa, playing tennis, snorkelling etc. but I knew when I went there those things would not be in the works for me.  The best part was that my Dad and my brother and his wife Michelle came, that my cousin Trish and her husband Gerry came and that my very special long time friends came, Kathy and Colleen whom I have known since I was twelve years old, Maureen and Duane (I have also known Maureen since junior high days) and Gary and Jenifer who are like extended family to us as are their kids.  Their son Trevor and Geoff have been buddies since kindergarten.  Geoff was Trevor's best man and Trevor was Geoff's!  Long time friendships are to be treasured and maintained......they are such a special thing to have in your life!

So.....were there any glitches for me?  A couple.  On our last night we pulled out our last feeding bag ( I was disposing them each day as we figured cleaning them with Mexican tap water might not be a good idea) and we discovered it was the wrong kind of bag and did not have the necessary fitting for my pump.  So no dinner for me that night!  Then, to add to it we got up the next  morning and discovered my stitch had pulled out for my feeding tube!  Not great!  We headed off to Cancun in a cab to catch our West Jet flight home, checked in with lots of time to spare and went to sit at our gate A5.  We sat there for a couple of hours and I kept wondering where my Dad and Trish and Gerry were.  Both of us had pretty much tuned out the loud announcements that came frequently.  Bill finally decided to take a walk and for some reason I was listening to the announcements when I heard that the West Jet Flight to Calgary had been changed from gate A5 to B15!  Well we boogied over there just in time to find them boarding the aircraft!

Would not have been great to have gotten stranded there with the problems I was having!  We got on board and immediately the flight attendants started handing out drinks.  The guy sitting with us ordered a ginger ale!  Well, I sat there and thought about that ginger ale for three hours.  Finally I just had to have one!  Weird eh?  All week I watched people eat and drink and showed really great restraint but that ginger ale just would not leave my head.  I didn't drink the whole thing but I did have several sips and fingers crossed....I'm thinking I might be ready for that swallow test!  I am guardedly optimistic because I thought that last time and can't even believe I am sharing this.  I will be so disappointed if I flunk it again!  I want some normal back in my life!  Bill keeps reminding me I'm doing really well but the patience is starting to wear a little thin!  Now that I have had my wedding I now want my life back and the sooner the better!

Today, I spent three hours at the urgent care centre getting restitched.  The doctor asked me how much longer I would have the feeding tube and I answered "Not much longer".  Bill, of course corrected me…. "We don't know how much longer!"

Hope you enjoy this small sampling of photos.....if you like them I have HUNDREDS MORE!

2 comments:

  1. Leslie, you look absolutely stunning! So glad to hear that you had a wonderful time and things went well. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pictures! Hope to see you soon my friend!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your big grin in the photo tells it all! You look great and had a great time. More photos please. Gudrun

    ReplyDelete