Monday 14 May 2012

Another gorgeous day!  Still no Boomer.  I think he has been kidnapped!  The walks are definitely not as fun without him and it's much harder to motivate myself to get out and hit the trails.  I think Bill will head out for him tomorrow if it works out.

Bill came with me on my second walk today.  He has decided that I need to puff more so he marched me up at least three good size hills, one very steep.  His goal was accomplished on that hill.  I was huffing and puffing all the way up.

Hung out here all morning hoping to get a call re. my swallow test.  Bill got back from Cranbrook around noon and he called to inquire when my test was scheduled.  Hmmm....they didn't know when I would be back so had not booked it.  I think I only told them seventeen times I was going for one week and would be back on May 11.  Oh well, it'll be when it is I guess and me growling about the fact that they are not paying attention to my holiday schedule won't change anything.  I only hope I can do it as an out patient.  You get tests done quicker when you are an admitted patient so there is a possibility that I may have to be readmitted.  Just as long as I don't have to sleep there I'm OK with that.

As I mentioned in a previous blog, when you cannot talk you tend to listen and observe a lot more.  Today I told Bill I had noticed two interesting behaviours in "some" people.  The funniest one is that when people are talking to me they often whisper.  They will talk to others with their normal voice but when addressing me their voice reverts to a whisper.  Bill said they have actually done studies on this and it is called imaging.  That isn't the case for everyone though.  Some people actually shout at me.  It's like they think if my voice is pooched my ears must be too!  It's hilarious.  If you see yourself in these descriptions, please know you are giving me a huge chuckle!  I love it!

I continue to get emails from many friends who have walked in my shoes.  Believe me it is so inspiring to see you all doing so well and sharing your stories.  Truly, if you have not gone through this you have no idea what it is like.  I do have the odd pity party for myself but I don't let them last long. As my Aunt Marian said "It's OK to feel sorry for yourself as long as you don't wallow in it!"  I'm definitely not wallowing, however, it is impossible not to grieve for the things that seem lost to you.  As one friend pointed out to me, I was so goal orientated on getting to Mexico and now that I'm home and that goal has been accomplished I am likely to see some other emotions surface that I have suppressed.  I think she's right.  On Mother's Day I had a good weep for my Mom who has been gone for almost 12 years! This same friend sent me a beautiful poem that I would like to share with you before I sign off.....

"The best things in life are nearest
Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes,
Flowers at your feet,
Duties at your hand.
The path of God just before you
Then do not grasp at stars,
But do life's plain common work as it comes,
Certain that daily duties and daily bread
are the sweetest things in life."

Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment