Monday 10 September 2012

Got up this morning to a labradorless house!  It is funny how empty this place seems without that big lumbering, slobbery, loveable creature!  Oh well....I shouldn’t feel that way....I know for a fact he isn’t pining for home at this moment.  He’s probably riding the quad, swimming in the pond or just hanging out with Wyatt.

Had my workout (even rode the exercise bike this morning), puttered around and loaded some things into the fifth wheel and then the phone call came!  It has crossed my mind that it wouldn’t be great if something were to not be right with my blood work and wouldn’t it just be my luck that this week that is exactly what happened.  Every week my blood work has come back excellent-no issues and then today Sally, my nurse calls to tell me my nutrafils are low and I need to come in and get them rechecked.  I had had my blood work done last Thursday when I was in for hydration and the counts were not at a level they would consider giving me my treatment.  I remember how anxious my Mom used to get when this happened to her because she always felt that she wasn’t fighting the cancer if she had her treatments stalled or delayed.  I felt that same feeling this morning when Sally called but I was also very annoyed.  Why would this happen on this round.  We are all set to leave tomorrow.  Everything’s planned and now this wrinkle!  I was just a little pissed off.  Hung up the phone, had a quick shower and headed off to the Foothills to redo my blood work.  Usually the lab moves fairly quickly over there.  Today they were serving #80 and I was #116.  Another thing to be pissed at!  I’m sitting there in the waiting room visualizing nutrafils.  They had better be where they need to be.  As I sat there stewing I finally just decided to heck with it.  It is what it is.  If they aren’t up I’m going anyways!  Had the blood test, left feeling much better that it really didn’t matter to me what the result was....the plan for tomorrow wasn’t changing except we may be leaving earlier if the treatment wasn’t going to happen.  Did my running around for groceries etc.  Did my usual trip to Costco to buy a few items and exited $250 later!  Always seem to find things there that were never on my list.  I think it’s called “Impulse buying.”  Today it was a Christmas decoration of all things!  The cutest black bear in a log decorated with a Christmas theme.  Some of you would definitely say tacky!  It is in a huge box which is still in the back of my truck.  When we went to go out for dinner tonight Bill asked me what was in the box in the back.  I confessed to my purchase and said it was so cute I bought it as a gift for someone.  I then paused and said it might just be a gift for me!  He just shook his head.

Came home this afternoon and had a steady stream of visitors.  First Geoff.  Heard about the travel itinerary he and Lindsey have planned for their upcoming around the world trip!  It sound fabulous!  I think they are going to have a ball.  Must confess I am a little worried about their time in Egypt but he assures me they have checked things out and they will pay attention to what is going on.

Barry and Wendy arrived home from Windermere and stopped by.  Wendy brought me four little hand carved bears from the Storm Mountain Lodge.  She has a set and I have coveted them for a year.  I have stopped in at the lodge three times this summer and checked out their gift shop but they have been sold out each time.  This last time Kathy and I stopped there for lunch and there on our table were two of the bears (they are napkin holders).  I am not a thief but must confess that it did cross my mind that it wouldn’t be too hard to sweep those little things into my purse.  Fortunately common sense and honestly prevailed and I did not act on my impulse.  The bears had just arrived on Friday when Barry and Wendy were there celebrating their 36? wedding anniversary!  What a wonderful surprise to get them!  If you are reading this Wendy and Barry,  Thankyou, thank you, thank you!!!  I love, love, love them!

After Barry, Wendy and Geoff left Bill’s brother Dick stopped by on his way through from Edmonton to Canmore.  He was delivering a barbecue up to their condo and stopped by for a visit.

Then tonight we went to Gary and Jenifers for a delicious supper.  I love Jenifer’s cooking.  She is always very adventurous and tries new recipes.  I tend to stick more to the tried and true probably due to the large number of flops I experience, particularly when I have invited company for dinner.  It was great to see these guys.  They have been gone all summer out to the Shuswap.  This is the first year in many that we have not been out to visit them there and I must confess I missed it!  It is such a beautiful lake and we always have a great time when we go out to see them!

So a day filled with great visitors!  A little hard to do the trailer packing but that’s OK....not a whole lot more to do.

Tomorrow morning I have my treatment at 8:30 AM.  When I’m done we will hit the road and will drive as far as Milk River.  We have a few straight travel days that should be quite laid back and relaxed for me.  I do not drive the truck pulling the fifth wheel.  Not something I’m comfortable with although I do have girlfriends who do pull fifth wheels and feel quite comfortable doing it.  I have enough trouble directing Bill into the campsite.  It usually ends up with him getting out and showing me where to stand. “He cannot see me in his review mirror and what the heck does it mean when I start waving my arms wildly at him?”  The funny thing is is that this seems to be the same scenario for every camping couple.  Once we get parked we usually sit down with a drink and watch all the other campers arrive and watch the typical stress that builds between these couples as she directs and he parks.  Pretty standard RV Campground entertainment (when it’s not you) We will be back the end of September to see Geoff and Lindsey off on their trip.  Kelli will hold down the fort.  Feel a little bad about leaving her as I know she has relocated to Calgary to be with me!  She assures me this is fine!  She told me the other day....”Mom you have been through hell and you deserve a holiday.”  Truth is I have had a holiday the last two months.  I am excited to see the Grand Canyon though and we will be going to Hawaii with Kelli and Mike so hopefully that makes up for my jumping ship for the next three weeks.
Kelli laughed when she saw how Bill and I were dressed to go out for dinner.  She said it looked like we had planned our “matching outfits.” “The Bobsy Twins” I said.....she said “More like the old retired couple that dresses the same.”  Hmph......not impressed with that comment!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment