Tuesday 18 September 2012

A shot from our raft on our float trip!  BEAUTIFUL!


View of the Grand Canyon from the South rim!
Hiked about 4 miles along the South Rim.  Not exactly hiking....all paved paths and lots of tourists!  The scenery, however makes up for the lack of privacy!

Left the Grand Canyon today and drove to Sedonna without our Fifth Wheel.  Stopped at Slide Rock Canyon!  After watching people going down this “Natural Water Slide” we decided we had to try it too!  Great fun!

Happy Birthday Bill!  We continue to have a great trip!  My energy levels are coming back and the trip continues to provide us with sites beyond beautiful!

We spent the last two days in the Grand Canyon with our friends.  No internet which explains why you haven’t heard from me in a couple of days.  We spent our first day walking along the South Rim.  Not exactly what you would call hiking.  All paths paved and many tourists however the views made up for the lack of privacy.  I have taken so many pictures it is difficult to choose just a few to share with you!
After spending most of the afternoon exploring along the rim we headed out to the Grand Canyon Airport for our helicopter tour.  There is a constant flow of helicopters heading out to the canyon.  It is big business!  We went into the terminal where we checked in.  I have only been in a helicopter once before when we went into Assiniboine with Dad a couple of years ago.  On that trip we just hopped onto the helicopter and off we went.  Not so today.  First off we each had to be weighed!  I couldn’t help but think how embarrassing it would be if they said you were “over weight”.....  Anyways...we all passed the weigh in although Brenda did tell us later that there is a limit as to how much you can weigh to go on the tour!  Not sure what that weight would be.  We were then told to watch a “safety video.” very similar to what you get on an airplane flight.  Must confess I didn’t pay much attention to it and when I was handed my PFD I promptly put it on.  A few minutes later a guy came around and gave us a number.  He bent down and whispered to me that I had my PFD on upside down!  Now I could have just quietly changed it....why didn’t I do that????  Sometimes I have no control of my big mouth.  I burst out laughing and told everyone in the terminal I had my PFD on upside down!  I’m sure they all thought I was a total ditz!  Finally it was our turn to get our helicopter.  We headed out to the tarmac and I couldn’t believe my good luck when I was told to get in front with the pilot!  Barb and I had front row seats.  It was amazing!  The fight out to the canyon took about 10 minutes.  When we reached the canyon the music to 2001, A Space Oddysey came on over our headsets.  The timing was perfect.  I literally gasped and I could feel Barb do the same beside me as we flew over the lip and into the canyon.  It actually made me almost feel teary!  If you ever go to the Grand Canyon you must take a helicopter tour!  It was FABULOUS!  A trip highlight for sure!  We finished our flight, returned to camp and had dinner.  This morning Stu took us all out for breakfast for Bill’s birthday and then we said our goodbyes.  The Lenzin’s and Patricks are now heading back north and we parked our fifth wheel in a parking lot for a couple of days and headed south to Sedonna.  Beautiful drive and not too much of it today.  We stopped just before getting to Sedonna at a place called Slide Rock Canyon.  Geoff has been here and I had remembered seeing his photos.  We bought a cold drink and wandered along the stream.  People were swimming in the canyon and the creek is like a “natural water slide.”  We sat there watching these people sliding down the rocks.  Finally I looked at Bill and said "I have to do this too  I’m going back to the truck to get my swim suit”  He looked at me and said he thought he’d like to try it too! Good decision!  It was a blast and a very refreshing way to spend the afternoon.
Finished up there and headed into Sedonna.  Wandered around and had to agree with whoever it was who said to me that Sedonna is like a red Banff!  It is very pretty but also very touristy.  We weren’t there five minutes and we were waved into a tour shop.  At first the guy was recommending good places for dinner.  The next thing we knew he was suggesting we take a jeep tour.  Then he said we could have the tour for free if we sat through a presentation!  Oh, oh....shades of Mexico!  Before we knew it we were also offered a suite in a really nice place tomorrow night!  We smiled at the guy and said...thanks.....but we don’t have time for this!  DO WE HAVE SUCKER TATOOED IN INVISIBLE INK ON OUR FOREHEADS that only these guys can see?  I’m starting to wonder!
Anyways...tomorrow we will explore around here a little. Then will head back to the Grand Canyon to
pick up the fifth wheel and will spend a couple of days in Zion before we start the trek home!
Hope you enjoy my photos.

3 comments:

  1. LOVED the Slide Rock pic Les,I felt the water splashing up just watching you!!!! I laughed and cried enjoying all the fun you're having right along with you, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pics - so much fun to come along with you. happy birthday bill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mom, so happy you got your swimsuit on and went down the natural water slide. It was a blast there. Your pictures are amazing, Lindsey and I will have to make a trip down there one day. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete