Sunday 23 September 2012

A long travel day today but incredible scenery along the scenic byway route we drove.  At one point we were driving along a narrow ridge at 9500 ft.  The fall colours were magnificent up there!
We went through some different types of landscapes today as you can see below.  In the Red Rock Canyons even the road was red!

The Escalante Basin.  Here the rock was white not red but still quite stunning!
More views from Boulder Pass.  A bit cloudy today but still very warm and none of the forecasted rain.
Stopped at a viewpoint with the bonus being there was a coffee house there.  Kiva Koffee House!  Great Latte with a fabulous view! Please excuse the bad hair day and appreciate there still is hair to complain about!!!

Started the day early as we knew we had a long travel day.  I packed my weights in the fifth wheel but have avoided using them until this morning.  Finally decided I had better get back at it so hauled them out of the drawer and headed outside to fling them around for a bit.  It is so embarrassing.  They are such little light weights and when a guy walked by with his little dog I wanted to crawl under the picnic table.  Oh well....I will adopt my cousin Trish’s philosophy that I will never see him again so what does it matter???  Finished my workout and we headed down the road to the Spotted Dog for breakfast.  Raylene and Dave had the breakfast there and recommended it.....good tip!  It was a really nice buffet breakfast and break is the one meal I seem to be able to eat a fair bit at!  The bacon was delicious!!!
Left there and headed on to the tunnel.  On top of the $25 park fee you have to pay another $15 to travel through the mile long tunnel.  They are making a killing at this!  Oh well, I guess with the way their economy is going down here this is one way they can maintain the roads and parks.
Made lots of stops today and enjoyed the drive.  Much nicer on the scenic byways than on the interstates and hardly any other cars to contend with.  The Highway Patrol down here is active though. We see cops every day handing out tickets.  I heard a lady at the coffee shop complaining that she got a ticket in Nevada for going 75 in a 70 zone and it cost her $109!!!  Bill figured it was bull shit but that’s what she told me.

We are now in Moab and will be here for a couple of days.  There are a couple of parks around here to explore.  Caroline and Don are here somewhere too but don’t know if we will be able to hook up with them or not.  It’s a big place but who knows....you bump into people in the strangest of places.

After our couple of days here we will start home.  I am kind of hoping to be back by Friday as it is the school’s Terry Fox Run day but don’t know if we will make it by then.  If I’m home, I’m going.....if not, I’ll be there in spirit.  I’ll certainly be thinking about them.


1 comment:

  1. I hope we see you on Friday too! The girls are getting excited about the run... such a great cause and I'm so thankful you've gotten all of the kids passionate about it at such an early age...

    Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete