Saturday 22 September 2012

Arrived in Zion National Park yesterday.  Another fabulous place and if you love to hike a great place to be!  There are so many hikes here you could probably spend a couple of weeks exploring.  Unfortunately for me, many of them are quite “vigorous” hikes with lots of elevation gain.  We did however find a great hike today called the Narrows.  We walked for 6 1/2 hours up the Zion Canyon, crossing back and forth and up the middle of the “Virgin River” the entire way.  It was magnificent!  The best part was I wasn’t even puffing.  Granted the elevation gain was minimal but we did cover quite a bit of ground and I would have to say it is the best I have felt yet!  Unfortunately I didn’t take my camera and Bill took his little one, however the card doesn’t fit in my computer so I can’t post any of the great pictures we took.  Oh well....just know it was more of the same amazing scenery.

Must be something about this place that makes you reflective but I was in a very thoughtful mood as I hiked today.  Couldn’t help but think how important it is to pack a little life into every day!  Granted, what that means to each of is quite different but as long as you feel like you are living your life the way you should, that’s what matters!  I have always thought this was important but at this point in time it seems even more critical to me!

Got an email from my friend and teaching partner, Rebecca today bringing me up to date on the Terry Fox Run.  I must confess I have been thinking about it a lot this past week.  I am so glad the school went ahead and ran the event this year.  It has become such a tradition for those kids and for me too! This is the first time in 17 years I have not been a part of it!  The school run is this Friday and if I should happen to be back home I will be there wearing one of my many “vintage” Terry Fox T shirts and my Terry Fox shoes!!   If not,  I am planning to be at the head shave and the wind up!  The only thing that might keep me away is my treatment and I’m not sure when I’m scheduled for that!  Will cross my fingers that there is no conflict here!

Tomorrow we head to Mohab.  The weather is supposed to change but we cannot complain.  We have been blessed with phenomenal weather throughout this entire trip!  The good news is we do not have to cut any trees down....we should be able to pull out of here without incident!

Heading northward and homeward......I’m actually missing my kids......and my Boomer!

2 comments:

  1. Of course we are carrying on the tradition - it's the least we can do to show how much we appreciate the hard work and dedication you have put into running The Terry Fox Run for the past 17 years!!!! Hopefully you can make it to the run - we can "shog" together!!! Ha Ha! Enjoy the rest of your trip!!! I think that perhaps you need to get to some scrapbooking retreats - you obviously have some terrific photos and maybe some time to spend on this hobby?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your legacy will continue...and it IS a legacy!! I tell anyone who will listen this time of year about your passion for this! You hiked 6 1/2 hours?? Move over Lance Armstrong!! You are my hero!!
    If there is ever a morning when I feel like not getting up to have Jari Love kick my ass, I just think about you and get my arc out of bed- even as it gets darker and darker..... Enjoy the rest of the trip!! The pics are superb!!!

    ReplyDelete