Monday 15 July 2013

Well, another birthday under my belt and one, if we are all a little honest, many, including myself wondered if I'd see.  Well see it I did and although I must confess I wasn't really excited about it like I am most birthdays actually turned out to be quite special indeed.  My good friend Margot who lives in flew in for a surprise visit on Friday night and we pretty much jawed our lips off for two days solid.  Margot is one of those people you cannot see for months, sometimes even years but there is no problem picking up the lines of friendship.  We had a lot to talk about and quite honestly, not a minute of the weekend seemed to drag.  Boomer and Bill were in seventh heaven because she pretty much took over the dog walking duties so happy dog and happy husband who got a well deserved break.  My other life long friend, Kathy drove down from Gull Lake o spend Saturday with us.  I had told you in a previous blog how we were so concerned he might have swallowed one of the Lady Bug Crystal Golf Balls.  He is an amazing dog.....swallows a golf ball and pukes up a sock!  Ohh George....I do believe you could win America's Got Talent with that Trick!!! Me thinks you and Kathy should consider this as a good retirement pursuit..  People would pay to see that trick.  Not sure you could perform it again though so maybe not.  Kathy got back to the lake and during the night George puked again several times,  Nice thing to arise to Sunday morning, I'm sure.  She called me and asked what I thought she should do.  I wasn't liking the way this was looking and told her if it were me I'd be taking him to the emergency clinic.  Kching....Well she did and luckily the x ray did not show a ball and the vet decided the stomach was probably just irritated from the sock.  Yes, it was an expensive trip to the vet but not as pricey as another friends dog experienced when he swallowed a tennis ball....can you imagine.... and had to undergo surgery!  $2000!  I also remember our friend Barry telling us about one of the dogs in the Police Canine Unit who ate a hockey sock.  The handler did not realize it until it was well entwined in the dogs guts.  By the time they got to the surgery it was several thousand dollars and I don't believe the dog was ever quite the same.  Moral of the story.....lock up those socks!  When Boomer was a puppy he acquired a real taste for Ladies underwear but was quite selective to the parts he liked.....only the crotch!  Not enough to worry about a blockage but certainly didn't impress Kelli or myself!  Fortunately he did grow out of this one.  I remember talking to my vet though about the things dogs do gobble down.  One of the most worrisome are the rock eaters.  They actually go outside and gobble down rocks which over time build up inside and have to be removed.  A very hard on to prevent given the fact that there are rocks everywhere a dog goes.  Then he told me about the lab who's owner was baking a pan of brownies.  She pulled them out of the oven and dropped the glass baking dish on the floor shattering it  The dog rushed in and gobbled up several bites before she was able to restrain him, glass and all.  Definitely a surgery situation with the sharp pieces of glass.  I just don't get it. These dogs are fat and happy but when presented with an opportunity to eat they just become huge gluttons.  If I opened up Boomers storage bin for his food he honestly would eat it till he popped!

Anyways...back to Saturday morning...Geoff and Lindsey floated in around 11 and worked their magic making us a fabulous brunch.  Such a treat!  Then our friends Brian and Brenda dropped by....it was pretty much a non stop entertain Leslie day.

Today I am not feeling good! Not sure if it was the constant stimulation of visiting all weekend or the chinese food we ordered in for dinner tonight but I have paid the price today.  Thats OK.....it was totally worth it.  Tomorrow another day of appointments and perhaps another drain on the lung.  The labored breathing has pretty much resumed which leads me to believe I need another session.  I just want to turn the corner and get out of this slump but so far not happening for me.  I keep telling my Dad I'd like to come out to see him at the lake but I honestly am not sure that is in my best interests right now.  So will continue to hang in there and hope for stronger days ahead.

Thanks to all of you who spoiled me on my birthday.  So many sweets and treats and so many messages.  It warms my heart that so many of you continue to follow along and cheer me on!  You will never know how much this has helped!
Love you all and count my blessings each and every day to have you in my life.

Oh and special bulletin on my pal Maureen!  They got back from their 4 day trip into Assiniboine and she discovered she likes this kind of back country experience.  If you have ever experienced Mount Assiniboine you would totally get it!  Its a place worth putting on your list.......Maureen loved it!


1 comment:

  1. Hey hero, Rob here.

    I had not heard from you and well I get worried, you know how it is. We worry about everybody and everthing except ourselves.

    Happy Birthday and yes hold your head high and be damn proud you keep beating that hell out of things.

    My lungs are clogged up and I have been having a few issues. Nothing serious, I just think you you and your strength and I know I can do it to.

    ReplyDelete